27 May 2008

NO REGRETS!!

I was so tired that I almost didn't go to this show, but man, am I glad I changed my mind about going... HELMET was awesome!!!

Now, I know that Helmet isn't a well-known band by today's music listeners. But man, do they still have it. I first saw them on the campus of Virginia Tech in 1992/1993. They opened for Faith No More (an abomination) - the majority of people who attended were there for Helmet. I always loved their lyrics and unique sound. It was heavy but a little experimental - and I loved any new music with a twist or quirk that separated them from the rest.

I remember being excited. I remember wondering why the guitarist didn't turn around and face the crowd. I remember being lifted yet annoyed when they stopped playing. And I remember being fully let down by Faith No More.

All these great memories pulled me back to see them over a week ago at Volume 11 in Raleigh, NC. The show was incredible! And even though there's only one original member in the band - the songs ROCKED! And even better - Page Hamilton is actually a pretty nice guy. The venue wasn't huge, but is really neat - only metal groups are invited to play - and after the show, the guys shook hands and talked with anyone who stayed behind. Just regular ordinary "Joes" who happen to be fantastic musicians.

The only time I was disappointed was when I got to work the next day and started to talk about the show to the new girl - who is a HUGE Tool fan...

... and she did not know who they were!!!

Does this make me old?? Dear God - knowing who Helmet is actually dates me? That one line from her mouth actually hit me in the face like a ton of college yearbooks. That said - I've figured out what you young-uns are missing from your lives. It's called Helmet.

No comments: